Now that the cold dreary winter is gone and spring is in full effect, many Houston area residents will be tackling some much needed home improvement projects. Some jobs are simply to spruce the house up, some are to beautify the landscaping, and some people are getting serious with replacement windows to prepare for the summer heat.
If your windows this winter were foggy, gathered condensation, or just plain drafty, you may need to join your neighbors and look into replacement windows. Summer will be here before you know it, and if you think dealing with drafty windows is uncomfortable during the mild Houston winter, wait until the temperatures soar into the high 90’s. When you have problems like that with your windows, it’s time to invest in the longevity and efficiency of your home and install replacement windows from Superior.
A Smart Investment For Your Home
Replacement windows are actually one of the most common home improvement projects due to their many energy efficient properties and other benefits such as:
- Boost Energy Efficiency –As mentioned, replacement windows can give you a significant boost in energy efficiency, especially in an older home. Many older homes have old windows with single plane glass. You’ll know single plane glass because during the winter they feel extremely cold to the touch and in summer are scorching hot. This is because single plane glass does a horrible job at insulating from the outside climate. Heating and cooling costs are always on the rise and Houstonians, we love our AC when it’s 98° outside with 78% humidity. Most of these older windows also have seals that are loose and let the outside air in. Newer efficient windows from Superior are double pane glass and have special energy efficient features, such as heat-reflecting coating and argon gas between the panes. These features enable homeowners to save an average of 15-28% on heating and cooling costs. If you factor that out in dollars and sense, replacement windows pay for themselves over just a few years.
- They Reduce Noise Pollution – If you live near Bush or Hobby airport, across the street from a school, or right off 1960—you deal with your fair share of noise pollution outside. As high as the level of noise is outside, if your windows are old and loose fitting, the noise will penetrate inside your home as well, making for a stressful environment, especially if you have dogs. With replacement windows that contain two or three panes encased with gas and coated with laminate, you can significantly reduce the noise coming into your home.
- Prevent Sun Bleaching – Sun bleaching is the effect that ultraviolet rays have on fabrics and substances of any color other than white. If you have carpet, window treatments, artwork and other household items—unfiltered UV rays can fade them significantly. Shades of red are the most susceptible color to UV rays but all colors eventually succumb to the intensity of sunlight—unless your windows filter UV light. When you upgrade to replacement windows from Superior you are getting glass that blocks up to 95% of UV rays from entering your home. This is not only good for your fabrics and artwork but for your health as well, as UV rays can also cause skin cancer, sunburn and accelerate aging.
- Eliminate Bulky, Unsightly Storm Windows – Living so close to the gulf coast, Houston area residents have endured our fair share of violent tropical storms and hurricanes. Many people probably can recall the annual drudgery of preparing for storm season by mounting their storm windows just before the season begins. The process is time-consuming and difficult—and, not to mention, outdated. The energy efficiency of new replacement window technology negates the need for storm windows and their tedious removal and installation process. Imagine all the time you’ll save and space in your garage freed up without the need for obsolete window technology.
- No More Water Leaks – When those spring thunderstorms hit the Houston area with high winds and heavy rain and hail; many older windows give way to the barrage of water. Allowing water to enter your home or seep into the walls, these old windows end up allowing the buildup of mold and mildew—which does damage that costs more than the cost of replacement windows. With those storms comes higher air pressure as well and old leaking glass doors and windows can’t withstand the pressure and leak air inside as well, leaving you with a humid house. New replacement windows have ultra-strong seals and energy efficient technology to weather the storms.
- Increases Your Home Value – A home is the largest and best investment one can make in their lifetime. Homes appreciate in value over time if you maintain them well and make improvements as they age. One of the best improvements you can make is in the windows. Old cracked and faded windows reduce the value of your home on the surface from an aesthetics point of view. If you were selling your home, potential buyers would be turned off by the curb appeal, or lack thereof, due to old decrepit windows. First impressions are everything in real estate and new replacement windows add abundant curb appeal instantly and hold their looks for decades. Protect your investment with replacement windows and the return on that could be huge if you sell.
- Increases Safety –Have you ever tried to open an old window? Chances are it probably sticks and is very hard to open. Now, imagine if there were a fire and the window was the only exit route feasible—would your family be able to get out safely? It’s not a situation anyone wants to be in but it is one to seriously consider. New replacement windows can open with just the pressure of one or two fingers. This feature alone is reason enough to get those old, unsafe windows replaced.
Invest Wisely—Choose Superior Windows
Even with all of these benefits, the best window is only as good as its manufacturer and installer. With Superior we know who manufactures and installs the windows you purchase from us—because we are the manufacturer and installers. Superior was founded out of a need in the industry for consistency in quality and installation. Rather than be at the mercy of manufacturers and their inconsistent quality, we decided to manufacture the very windows we install.
Made right here in Texas, our windows go through a stringent quality and testing process before we ship them to our in-house installers. With Superior we can guarantee a quality product and installation because we are directly involved from the point of purchase.
Contact us today to get a free estimate on one of the most important investments you will ever make on your home.