Love it or hate it, crawfish season in Texas is officially here. If you’re a Texas transplant from another state, you’re probably wondering what a “Crawfish” is.
What’s a Crayfish/Crawfish/MudBug?
For the next few weeks, you’ll be hearing plenty of your friends and co-workers talk about mudbugs and “Crawfish Boil” gatherings. At Superior Window Company, we love Texas but we also love pulling out the red carpet for new Texans.
Whether you’re a native or new Texan here some simple steps to cooking crawfish:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 lb. live crawfish
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 lb. red or new potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 packet (3 oz.) Crawfish, Shrimp & Crab Boil Seasoning Mix
- 1 lemon, sliced in half
- 1 pkg. (4 count) Corn On Cob, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 lb. Cajun Style Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1) Go to your local grocer like “HEB” or “Krogers”, and you’ll find they are offering live crawfish. For four servings, purchase at least 2 lbs of crawfish.
2) Prep the crawfish by placing them in an ice chest and will with fresh water. Stir the crawfish around and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Then let it sit for 15 minutes, drain and repeat. After your second draining don’t add any salt and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to remove any If any dead crawdads.
3) For about 4-5 minutes sauté an onion for 4-5 minutes until tender and slightly golden.
4) Now fill up an 8-quart pot halfway with water (4 quarts). Mix in some seasoning, lemon, onion, and potatoes. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat and cook for 15 minutes.
5) Add sausage and some corn to the boiling concoction and cook for 3 minutes. Now you’re ready to bring the crawfish into the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the crawfish marinate in the soup. (Longer the better)
6) Drain water and season to taste with salt and pepper and serve on a platter.
Watch This: How to Eat a Crawfish
Now that you’re ready to enjoy some mudbugs, “wow” your friends and family at your next “Crawfish Boil” by getting your home windows replaced. Replacing your home windows can keep the party cool during the party with our line of energy efficient windows and doors.