If you’re tired of drafty windows, condensation, or just want to make a solid improvement on your home’s value—energy efficient replacement windows are an investment that will add significant value to your home while helping to lower energy costs as well.
When it comes to replacement windows in Houston though, homeowners such as yourself have a huge variety of styles, dimensions, materials, and sizes that fit any décor, budget or application. So how do you choose the right replacement windows for your home?
No matter which windows you choose, at the very least the windows should be energy efficient or you will be no better off than you are with cheap, inefficient windows. Energy efficient windows are not only good for your home energy costs but they are also environmentally friendly.
In order to really know if the windows you are looking at are truly energy efficient first, you must understand what an energy efficient window is— and what makes it so. Understanding energy efficiency in windows will help you get windows that offer the most comfort and the most saving on energy costs.
What Exactly Is An Energy Efficient Window?
Depending on the outside temperature, replacement windows in Houston are either keeping heat out and cool air in or heat in and cool air out, as most heat loss and gain comes through the windows and doors. Just like your home should be well insulated to mitigate heat penetration or heat loss, energy efficient windows should also be well insulated to work in tandem with the insulation in the walls and attic to combat energy loss.
When you are considering windows from different suppliers, make sure you check the U-factor of each unit. The U-factor indicates how well the window protects against non-solar heat loss and gain. A U-Factor that is lower is ideally what you will be looking for as the lower the number the more efficient the window is.
Also, when you are looking at different window brands, be careful to consider that the U-Factor can refer to the efficiency of the glass panes alone or the entire window as one whole piece. For example, our most efficient windows have frames that are made from well-insulated materials such as cellular PVC, giving them a very low U-factor.
However, some companies will sell you a window where only the glass has a low U-factor but then the frame and everything else is poorly constructed and not sealed properly to cut costs. If you buy a window like that, you end up with a window that has awesome efficiency in the glass pane, but is completely negated by the frame it’s in due to its extreme inefficiency.
These kinds of windows are most often found in new developments because builders use the least expensive components that “look” expensive. Side note: always upgrade the windows when buying a new construction home.
What Are The Benefits Of Superior Energy Efficient Windows?
Energy Cost Savings
In Houston, the biggest benefit of energy efficient windows is how much they can save you on cooling costs. While Houston winters are relatively mild and tame with the exception of a few recent crazy winters—these windows will also save on heating costs. But naturally, where you will really see the difference is between June and August, where Houston temperatures can get up to 105° easily, and we’re not even factoring in the humidity. Poorly insulated windows are the number one root cause of heat gain which means you spend even more money because your AC has to constantly work to keep the house comfortable.
With Superior windows, you won’t have that problem. When you install our one-of-a-kind, energy efficient windows, they will save you up to 46% on your energy bills. Simply put, our products have the best efficiency rating on the market – and can save you 15% or more than our closest competitor. Our windows use advanced low-E coatings and insulating gases between panes that further minimize solar heat gain, yet still give you a crystal-clear view allowing plenty of natural light into your home.
You Will Spend Less On An HVAC System
Another valuable benefit of Superior’s one-of-a-kind energy efficient windows is that in addition to contributing to lower heating and cooling costs; they also significantly lighten the workload on your HVAC system at peak periods.
A peak is the maximum cooling or heating requirement needed at any given moment to get the home to the temperature desired. Several factors go into determining this requirement such as furnace size, air conditioner, heat pump and square footage of the home. Where our windows come into play is in their insulative qualities that lessen the peak heating and cooling workload.
This means you can actually spend less on a smaller and more economical HVAC system should you need to upgrade, or get more life and maximum efficiency out of the unit you have. This is especially beneficial if you are building a new home, and remember always upgrade the windows in new build homes!
They Make Your Home More Comfortable
Superior’s energy efficient windows can drastically improve your homes thermal comfort level during extreme warm months and our colder months. In winter, cheap and inefficient windows have an icy cold surface that produces chilly drafts as the air next to the window gets cooled by the panes like air flowing over ice. When you use our highly efficient windows however, you will notice the glass is warmer and our durable weatherstripping is designed to seal extremely tight to keep out external air. Excessive condensation is also a big problem with older, inefficient windows and that can lead to mold, wood rot, and many more unsavory problems.
They’re Affordable, Stylish, And Add Value to Your Home
Your home is one of life’s most rewarding investments, but it’s also the largest investment you’ll make in a lifetime. You want to maintain your home and consistently improve on it to keep its value high should you ever need to sell, borrow against the equity or simply keep your home safe and looking great. Superior’s energy efficient windows have so many benefits that impact the style, security, and value of your home such as:
- Affordable: We can build a replacement window package to accommodate almost any budget. We will do everything possible –from financing to partial projects – for the opportunity to work with you.
- Attractive: Our windows offer more glass with less frame – preserving the views from inside your home and instantly boosting its curb appeal. You don’t have to sacrifice looks for energy savings anymore.
- 26 Color Options: Choose the only vinyl replacement window that comes in 26 exterior colors, as well as interior color frame options and find a picture-perfect match for your home. How would you like to match the outside of your home with a beautiful Bronze or Ivory and match the inside trim with a stylish white or stainable wood grain? We can do that and much more!
- Durable: Make an investment that lasts a lifetime. Our proprietary aluminum reinforcements offer a standard of strength and durability that no other product on the market has – and every window is backed by a 55-year transferable manufacturer warranty.
- Secure: Keep your family and your valuables safe with the only replacement window to feature a 9-point locking system with dual cam locks that fasten directly into the aluminum. Our windows also boast a hard-to-break (2x) double strength glass in every pane.
- Low Impact Installation: Like our windows, we work efficiently, with most jobs being completed in 1 to 2 days. We have in-house installers that respect your home, your privacy and your time. Our installers are very low impact – you won’t even mind us being there.
- Service: It’s all about you. Really! Our goal is to provide you with the information you need to make the most informed decision. No high-pressure sales tactics, just the best customer service you’ve experienced in a while. We’ve been recognized by the Better Business Bureau for outstanding customer satisfaction with the prestigious Pinnacle Award in 2009 and the Award for Excellence in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- Only Superior: Don’t forget to ask us about our southern climate zone glass developed especially for our Texas climate. Block out unwanted heat and glaring sun while enjoying a sunlit filled space. No longer will you need unsightly solar screens, storm windows or heavy curtains to block the heat from your home. Open your curtains and blinds and enjoy the view. Our windows will do what a window was always meant to do – protect your home while allowing you a perfect view to the outside.
Call 281-440-7200 and let’s get started on your energy efficient window project.
Ready To Give Your Home A Major Value Boost?
Contact Superior today to experience the drastic reduction in cooling and heating costs and increase your home’s value. Our consultants will help you find the best options to fit your budget, your home’s style, and the desired level of efficiency you are seeking. We look forward to making your home comfortable again!