What In The World of Windows is a Window Sash?

For today’s post we’re featuring a very important part of an a window, the window sash.

The part of your window that slides and holds glass panes together is called a “window sash”. Attached to the house, the sash fits inside your window frame.


Sashes can vary depending on which type of window you have installed. Double hung windows will have an upper and lower sash that can move up and down. Two sashes are the easiest window type that will allow you to clean and operate. These sashes can also tilt in or out for cleaning purposes.

A window that slides left to right with one sash is called a “slider window”.

Meanwhile, casement windows will also have one sash. The casement’s sash operates using a crank instead of a sliding feature.

Learn more about window styles by visiting our Windows & Doors Styles Page.