The Texas Summer is about to kick into full infernal form—is your Houston home ready for the merciless Texas heat? Even though Texas doesn’t see a lot of extreme cold, winter tends to deteriorate things like seals around windows. Annualy, by the end of spring you’ll want to give your home a “touch up”—repair or replace worn parts, add supplemental weather stripping, and in some cases you may even need to get replacement windows to keep your Houston home cool.
At Superior Windows, our knowledge is not limited to replacement winwows. We have a deep understanding of weather proofing your home. This week we start a blog series on how to Beat This Summer. If you follow even some of these steps, you can rest assured that your family stays cool and even saves money on ooling costs.
Winter has a way of wearing away at a house, so each spring you’ll want to give your home a.
- Install extra weather stripping around old windows and any doors to keep the cold air in your home from escaping through cracked seals. You might even consider replacement windows for an even more sure fix.
- Clean and run an efficiency test on your HVAC system before the summer kicks in.
- As we mentioned before, old or less efficient windows are the number one culprit for energy leakage in a home. Consider investing in replacement windows or even window tinting that will at least block harmful UV rays while still allowing plenty of sunlight into your home.
- If you have ceiling fans, set them to rotate in reverse so they pull the cold air up and circulate it in a room.(there will usually be a switch near the light fixture.) This will keep your room slightly cooler by getting cold air that would remain dormant, and circulating it.
- Replacing the filters in your cooling system cannot be emphasized enough You should do this maintenance at last once a year, as it will help keep your AC unit working less and prolonging it’s life and also making your home cooler.
Preparing your Houston home for the Texas summer will save you money, while also protecting you from the high temperatures outside. Of course the ultimate fix for leakage in your home is replacement windows as your homes are likely old or cheap “builder grade” windows were sold to you with your new home, which are the bare minimum in quality.
Contact Superior Window Company today for an in-home consultation and we’ll be happy to assist you. Superior Window Company offers replacement windows and doors for homes, condominiums, townhomes and multi-family units throughout the Houston area.